Air Fryer Southern Fried Chicken
Southern cooking from-scratch can be downright intimidating. But! No worries. This video recipe is here to help guide you through each step! This recipe is produced by the talented Monique. This recipe takes roughly 40 minutes from start to finish. Ingredients are: 2 lbs chicken, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, cornstarch, eggs, hot sauce, milk/buttermilk and olive oil.Instructions
- Wash and dry chicken, set aside.
- In a bowl combine seasonings.
- Coat chicken generously with about a tablespoon of the spice mixture. (Add a splash of olive oil to the chicken to help distribute the spices if needed. Really rub it in!). Set aside.
- In a gallon-size plastic bag, mix together flour, cornstarch, and remaining spice mix. (VERY IMPORTANT: Flour SHOULD taste well-seasoned. Add in more spices and salt if needed) Set aside.
- In a large dish, mix together eggs, hot sauce, milk, and water.
- Coat chicken very lightly in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Place on a tray to allow time for some of the flour to absorb a little.
- Coat the chicken in the egg mixture (shaking off excess).
- Immediately, coat the chicken lightly in the flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Let chicken rest for about 15 minutes so that some of the flour is absorbed.
- Use an oil mister or brush, to coat the chicken very lightly (all over) with olive oil.
- Place chicken in greased Air Fryer basket, allowing room for the air to flow all around the chicken. (do not crowd)
- Cook according to your air fryer, flipping halfway and brushing very lightly with more oil (if needed) so that no flour is visible. (I cooked on 350 F. for about 18 minutes)
- Remove and let chicken rest for about 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately. (Homemade air fried chicken does not stay crisp very long)